Monday, April 28, 2014

April 27, 2014    You Knew It Was Coming
 
 
Hello Everyone,
 
 
Welcome back and thank you, everyday, for reading and returning to this blog. 
I am so fortunate for each comment, email, and view; the blog has been viewed over 3,000 times! You have no idea how much that means to me. I realize some of you return often, and I understand.  I miss you, too.
 
Remember, it is ok to email me or text or ask questions or just check in. 
                                         ________________________________________
 
Every day, my friends send me inspirational messages through Facebook or via text or email.  I have reposted some of them in my blog entries. My friend, Cat, sent me the picture above.  I definitely needed this one today...
 
Some of the questions I fielded from my friends and family have been about the side effects of chemotherapy. When people think of cancer patients and chemotherapy, they ask about nausea, fatigue, and hair loss.  This experience has provided me with first hand knowledge that I am trying to share with others. 
 
One of the most significant side effects of undergoing chemotherapy is alopecia, or total hair loss. This includes all body hair, including eyelashes and eyebrows.  I have talked about this before, and I knew it was coming.  I did my best to take action and prepare, by cutting off my longer hair.  I also mentally prepared by gathering more knowledge and talking to cancer survivors who dealt with alopecia.  I have scarves and hats and caps to wear as it continues to get worse.
 
With my chemotherapy drugs, I was aware the hair loss would begin about two weeks after my first treatment.  And it did.
 
The last few days, I have been experiencing hair loss when I comb or brush or shampoo my hair.  Its much, much more than the usual 10-20 strands that most people experience every day.  While its something I have done my best to prepare for, it is still sad to see.  When I start to feel bad about it, I reach out to friends, who remind me of what I need to hear:
 
It will grow back....  You look good with hats....  You can get cool wigs, like candy apple red.... You knew it was coming, and you prepared for it.
 
Some of my friends have expressed sympathy or asked questions about prevention.  Most patients lose all their hair; some have thinning, which looks like it sounds.  The American Cancer Society offers a program called "Look Good, Feel Better," which provides assistance, such as wigs and beauty tips, to help with the adjustment.   
 
Now is the time to count my smiles and count my courage.  It is not the time to cry or be scared.  There will be times for that, just not now.  This is another battle in a very long, long war.  This is another way my life will change because of this disease.
 
What does not change are my support system and my positive attitude.  I look forward to messages or visits or lunches with friends.  I have friends who are wearing my name as they participate in walks or runs in support of cancer research.  I have friends who will be there for me as I head into Round 2 of chemotherapy this week.  I am humbled, and stronger, with my TeamSosa.
 
Love You,
Sosa
 
 
 
 
____________________________________________
 
Some people have had trouble posting on the blog.  I will post for you if you send me your message.  I learned it is easier to post from the computer than your phone.  You can post anonymously (include your name in the post) and from your Google account. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Good Luck with round 2. I am so glad you are staying strong and positive. My prayers and good thoughts will be with you. Love you!! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I miss seeing you at the ballfield. I'm working Wednesday nights if you want to come by. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're always on my mind...cwj

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more tears, just cheers to our girl. And cheers to your Oncology Team. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trust in God, for he will never let you walk alone. Make the very best of each and every day, that you are given. And remember, that we all love you so very much.
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello friend, good luck with round two...you got this! With your positive spirt, family, friends and especially with The Lord above...you are truly a blessing, sending prayers daily��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hair loss is really one of the aesthetic concerns of people who had to go through chemotherapy. It’s disheartening to see the once beautiful and healthy hair fall out for no reason. But you’re right; it will grow back. There are many ways to regrow hair quickly nowadays, so it's really a small price to pay to get better. Stay strong!

    Collene Puterbaugh @ Baja Hair Center

    ReplyDelete