Monday, April 21, 2014

 
April 20, 2014        Easter Sunday
 
 
Hello Everyone,
 
So this week, I learned a few things....
 
I learned it takes a lot of energy for my body to deal with side effects, day after day. 
 
I learned my body needed a lot more calories to do a simple yoga class.
 
I learned that even a few hours out of the house can be exhausting.
 
I learned to listen to my body, even when my heart wanted to stay for the second game.
 
                                     _____________________
 
This week I attended my first support group comprised of cancer patients and survivors.  It will be another good resource for me to learn from and communicate with others who have gone through treatment and intend to survive this disease.  I have also been fortunate to meet other women in my field of work whose lives haves been changed by breast cancer.  And, I have been lucky to have friends from all over, connect me with survivors in their lives.  I am grateful for the support, and overwhelmed sometimes by the seemingly infinite ways breast cancer has touched the lives of so many.
 
For more than a few, I am the first person someone has known, on a personal level, whose life is forever changed because of breast cancer.  I am the first person some have known to go through chemotherapy, let alone all the other steps to come.  For some, they do not know what to say or do, and some just want to "fix it all," and make it go away.
 
What I have learned from these friends, is that all emotions are valid, from anger, to doubt, to fear. And, understanding there is no quick fix for any cancer, can be a hard pill to swallow.  My friends, please trust, completely, that your short text, email, blog post, or "like" on Facebook, is a reminder to me that you are out there. While you may not think you know what to do or how to help, even the simplest acknowledgement to me or to someone who is asking about me, helps me in many important ways.
                  ________________________________________
Yoga was fun, and I intend to participate in classes as often as possible.  But, one must remember to eat something before doing more activity than usual.  This was my first real activity since chemotherapy started and my body was not ready.  My blood sugar was low and I was exhausted! So, I learned a lesson that day.
 
I went to Saint Mary's College (Class of '98) last week to watch Fresno State Softball play the Gaels.  While I hoped to see both games of the doubleheader, I settled for extra innings in the first game.  My body told me I was tired, and within a few hours in the sunshine, I knew I had to head home.  Leaving the sun, and a softball game, are the opposites of everything I have been raised to be. However, I was lucky to see my parents, as well as my friends, whose daughters play for the Dogs.  And, made it to the bookstore for some swag. 
 
I also learned (not really, but we have a theme) that extra innings in a Giants game this early in the season is exhausting for anyone, cancer or not.....
                               ______________________
This has been a fun week for letters and packages and fun pictures from friends and family. Thanks for the positive quotes, as well as the smurfs, the biohazard bags, and the inappropriate wardrobe choices.... I commend those still using US Mail, as I appreciate sending a letter of my own from time to time.
Thank you for your messages and for your visits, and for your consideration of my needs.
 
It's been an interesting week and I just thought I would share some with you all.  This is the second week after my first treatment.  The major side effects of pain have subsided and I am fortunate to feel relatively normal.  Round Two is in a little over a week and I plan to use this time to strengthen my body and mind for whatever is to come.  With exercise and a positive attitude, I am almost completely prepared for what lies ahead.  I say almost, because I am only strongest with your support, your affirmations, your prayers, and your faith. 
 
 
Thank you all so much,
 
Sosa

From Monica R.M.: "The little difference (in people) is the attitude.  The big difference is whether it is positive or negative."

__________________________
Lastly, while I have many projects to work one during my time at home, I have binged on seasons of TV shows, and ridiculous movie marathons. If you are inspired, feel free to email me your suggestions for programs I might be missing, because they are soooo fantastic. I have stacks of books yet to be read, but am always up for a browsing of a local bookstore.

11 comments:

  1. Ok Here's my list:
    TV Series: Criminal Minds, Justified, Rizzoli & Isles, Perception, The Americans, True Detective, & of course "Drop Dead Diva". Lots of them on FC and Lifetime.
    Movies: Favorite-Pulp Fiction, Happy Feet 1 & 2, Any National Lampoon Comedy, and Lifetime Movies (A wide variety)
    Books: Anything by James Patterson or Joanne Fluke (all her books have great recipes in them). I shop @ Half Price Books in Concord. Can return to resell them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well here's one for you on May 5, "Hip Hop Atlanta"....lol cwj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your posts Andrea!! You are so strong & it makes it easier for me to understand what you are going through! Just know that I think about you often.. You will have to txt me your address.. :) Sending positive thoughts your way... Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO I caught the last bit of Big Ass Spider. That was a really bad movie just saying!. I am glad you are doing Yoga. I have just started doing yoga and it is very nice. Keep up the great posts. I am very proud of your strength. Love From the Ranchos! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoga is exhausting and makes my body ache. I did it for a month straight and vowed to never go back. OMG eat SOSA please especially with yoga so "YOU CAN GET YOUR ZEN ON'"
    can you go into more detail about the inappropriate clothing?
    Love u have a great week. Jessica snow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sosa
    "What you doing"? I miss you coming in the office asking that question already knowing the answer lol (not much). I just found out that you had a blog today. I miss you tremendously already. Im glad that you have decideded to do the blog, you are a very strong person." God always give the toughest battle to the strongest soldiers. I know you will beat this! Keep fighting and keep the faith. You are in my prayers. Mariam Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey friend...the show "Friends" is always great to watch! You are making me want to exercise more now! Thanks for the motivation!! (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As promised, I will always post for those who are unable....

    From Mr. Wilson:
    Good to hear that you're out and about. Yoga even, pace yourself. It's good to know that you're talking to people in similar situations. Keep fighting the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realize you love your Giants, however if the future of that organization lies with the Grizzlies.....YOU SHOULD SUE! We were given free tickets for last Saturday, and it was the WORST baseball game I've EVER seen. The final straw was when a dropped third strike became a TRIPLE for the other team! Holey Moley, even my 7th grade girls have managed to master that one!! So, I'm just saying, to all baseball fans, DEMAND some accountability for the BASICS....one expects that these are pretty much MASTERED by Triple A for crimony sakes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out Kris Carr "Crazy,Sexy,Cancer" blog and book. Lots of inspiring articles and recipes.
    So glad you are into the Yoga! Keep it up.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two things crossed my mind when I read your entry: 1. You, at my Halloween party, and saying, "double cheeseburger, and double cheeseburger!" (And I bet you can recall the hand motions that went along. YES, you must eat, but eat healthy and hearty. And 2. Sex and the City episodes. Season 6. Episodes 2-4? Samantha is battling the big C. Maybe it's inappropriate, but if I know you, you'll find it quite entertaining. -Na

    ReplyDelete