Sunday, April 13, 2014

My First Chemotherapy, 4/9/14 
 
April 13, 2014
 
Hi Everyone,
 
I would like to start off by acknowledging everyone who checked in with me this week.  Your emails, texts, phone calls, and pictures were much appreciated.  I know I was not much of a talker, but I responded to every message.  I returned daily to past blog and Facebook entries and reread what you have posted, because it helps so much. Having friends and family check in from five minutes or 500 miles away reminds me on an hourly basis of my support, my team.  I am very lucky to be on TeamSosa for this journey.
 
__________________________________________
 
So this week was my first chemotherapy infusion. The experience itself went well. My parents accompanied me to my first session, and I have spent the last week experiencing side effects and adjusting to medications. Round One included headaches and aches and pains, which were the worst of it. This was different from last week's post surgery pain; this is much harder to manage.  As some of my friends have learned through their own personal injuries, pain interrupts sleep, which makes for long days, and longer nights. Trying to find a comfortable position, using icepacks on sore joints, and taking medications are my current routine.
 
I am most grateful for not experiencing nausea, or worse, vomiting.  I attribute that "gift" to more advanced medications, but also to a bit of willpower.  As an athlete, I have always "played through the pain," but I'm not crazy.  I am a firm believer in "mind over matter" and thoroughly convinced myself that nausea was not in the game plan. And I kept one foot on the floor at all times. 
 
I also have faith that I will always be given only what I can handle.  However, I am realistic, too, because the nausea could very likely come back with a vengeance for the next part of the war. This mentality is the basis of my strength and I surround myself daily with wings of balanced optimism and realism.
 
This will get harder over time, and I am fortunate for every hour of every day that it is easier, every hour of sleep, and each comfortable position I can be in.  Because I do not know what Round Two holds for me.  I am mentally preparing myself for as much as I can before the next wave hits. 
 
Feel free to email me, or post a response, or share this blog with others.  Tell me if there is something you would like me to address or something you think I should say.  I do this for myself, and for my friends and family.  It is not TeamSosa without you.
 
Love to you all,
Andrea
 
 
 
And, yes, mom and dad were here most of the week. We watched the Masters and Giants baseball and Fresno State softball.  Because that's how we roll.  Major life events coincide with sporting events....  There was not much they could do for me other than run errands, and keep me company. I refer to them as the "crazies," and my small apartment is like a cage for their active retired lifestyles. They have since returned to the Central Valley to root on their Bulldogs, of course.  My parents did not leave me "unattended," and they know I have an extensive support system in the Bay Area.
 
 
**Only real Giants fans have their first chemo on the Home Opener.  Yes, I wore all my Giants gear, and brought my 2010 World Series blanket with me.  Even my nurse Barbara wore her Will Clark button. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. SOUNDS LIKE YOU DID GREAT! love the pictures with your posts by the way. You are so strong; you sound like a true athlete because you have a game plan for everything! Whose playing first? Just kiddening. Love u. Jessica snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey just checking in... "Be strong because things will get better. It may be stormy now, but it never rains forever." cwj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sosa! Stay positive and strong... Mind over matter all the way! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey friend....I knew you could do this...Mind over matter is definitely a must!! Stay Strong..sending prayers daily, God Bless��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you. You have really touched my life with your strength. I admire your words and strength within you, and every time you write, I know your goin to kick cancers a&@! We miss you and thinking of you. Your amazing! Love, Marlene ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girly! Ok.. first off.. GO A's lol and second.. u look great. I know ur strong.. thats a damn given for anyone who knows you. Go BULLDOGS! I will email you and see when u are available or more importantly up to a visit from the "crazies" here at fidy D.
    God bless and tons o' hugs
    GO DAWGS!! oh and sooo NOT Alhambra H.S.
    C. F.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As promised, if you cannot post, I will post for you:

    Stay strong,

    Love, Mr. Williams. Go Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always a little behind on your posts but I'm always thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete