Sunday, May 4, 2014

May 4, 2014
May the Fourth Be With You
 
 
Welcome Back Friends and Family,
 
Thank you to everyone who has checked in or messaged me this week.  It means so much to me to hear your support.  It's great to hear about life outside this cancer world.  Sometimes, its the interesting stories from work, or its the general comedy that is our children and friends.  This week, its a silly pink mustache on an old friend, a picture of a another beautiful bald breast cancer survivor, and flowers from Utah. And, as always, its the regular conversation about baseball, the Kentucky Derby, basketball playoffs, and college softball. 
 
On Wednesday, I had Cycle 2 of my first (and hopefully, only, single Round) of chemotherapy. I was accompanied by two of my favorite funny ladies, who made the time fly by.  My side effects have been manageable, mostly fatigue and lightheadedness. My body is responding well to the medications, and I am listening to my body when it tells me to rest.
 
Its been one month since the treatment plan began and I still have five months to go.  That means Cycles every three weeks, and I can only hope each Cycle continues to work on destroying the cancer in my body.
 
This week, I experienced significant hair loss, and shaved my head.  As I said in the last blog post, my hair loss was significant and continued to progress rapidly.  I had discussed the issue with my friends and I was growing more frustrated with losing hair all day long.  On Saturday, after measuring my growing frustration, I made the decision and called a local barber shop. 
 
While it was stressful, two of my friends joined me and made it a lot easier.  I was already feeling overwhelmed from chemotherapy.  But it had to be done.  It is about being empowered, and about feeling better during the hardest times.
 
I do not want anyone to shave their head "in solidarity." I have plenty of friends who are already bald and beautiful.  This week, the "Team Sosa" shirts began delivery, and I am asking for photos of my supporters with their shirts.  I feel the support and appreciation every day in so many ways, and I am truly blessed and grateful.
 
Love you,
Sosa
 
 


19 comments:

  1. My son's Godmomma is a so beautiful!!! Just know we are so proud of you. This illness will not win. You are doing a awesome job Sosss!! We love you lots..Also Venus and Lisa said the admire your strength. . Luv you!!♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Sosa. Finally headed back home but I have 2 more flower pics to send you. I just wish I could have brought them home with me but I think the Feds might have taken me in. Love that Beautiful Ike as usual. Continue with that strong and determined attitude that you have always had. It also keeps us all determined and strong as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked your head you have no craters or crivices...LOL...Marlene cried for the loss of your hair. I on the other hand know it's hard to stop crying when you someone else doing it. I'm sure you've heard this a million times yout hair will grow back. I know it took a lot for you to shave it and I could see you were reluctant. But at last you don't have to keep fiddling with it. This is just one more step to win the fight.
    Cristina H

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ROCK SOSA. Super strong making hard decesions. Love u sweetie. Just took a shower with a black widow i told him i prefer to shower alone. Now i hear geese in my front yard. Random right. Happy Cinco De mayo! Jesss

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey hey now...get yo Vogue on! Very pretty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful and so brave. Your smile is worth it all and won't be taken away!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will post for anyone who is having trouble. Sometimes its easier from a computer than one's mobile phone....

    From SAUNYEI:

    No words that I say can express the way you ultimately feel, but I can deeply empathize. Your confidence, aura, insight, beauty, and of course, that smile, is empowering solely itself. I admire your tenacity and perseverance. Yet, I love that you have your wall down too, and allow people to be there and support you through this ordeal. Your strength speaks in volumes. And there is nothing more superior than that. You are beautiful.. Love you, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you still look good. That smile is worth a million. Stay strong, you are strong. I wish my head looked that good. Much Love, Mr. Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bald is beautiful on you! And yes, your hair was gorgeous too, and it will be again. I'm holding a vision of your cancer shrinking to a point of elimination. Missing you and your sense of humor. - Cerise

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make bald look beautiful!!! Thank God for your good genes...lol cwj

    ReplyDelete
  11. i said you would beautiful!! even without hair, your eyes and smile tells it all bring on this war love dad

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not fair that you look good both ways, hair or no hair. :)) Your smile is worth a million bucks!!! Stay up and keep smiling Sosa.-MWhitehead

    ReplyDelete
  13. Felicia CamarilloMay 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM

    Love the pic! That's the smile of a woman who is winning... Like the Giants!! Love all the black & orange :) Keep smiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the picture Sosa!!! Your beauty shines at the hardest of times. Keep fighting, we are all by your side... -Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look Beautiful! I am so proud of you for being the woman you are today. Love you, Isoke

    ReplyDelete
  16. One beautiful looking lady...you inspire me with all your positiveness. Sending hugs, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As one "good hair" chick to another, that perfect dome is gorgeous too. I'll see you soon. -Na

    ReplyDelete
  18. You still look as beautiful as ever...your gorgeous smile and strength are what makes you radiate with beauty. I can almost hear your hearty laugh through this photo. You are such an inspiration to me. I think of you often and you're always close to my heart and in my prayers. Love you, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a very strong woman and I admire you!!! TEAM SOSA!!

    ReplyDelete