Thursday, April 3, 2014



April 2, 2014

The Day I Cut My Hair
 
Hello Everyone,
 
 
First, let me acknowledge the absolutely incredible feedback to my first entry.  I am truly blessed to have so much support and honored to have made such good friends over the years.  Please share this blog, repost, and tell your friends about this experience. I will respond to any questions or comments, all you have to do is ask.
 
Second, a few people have had trouble posting to the blog.  I cannot explain this, nor will I try.  But, as usual, I will provide a solution... Email me your comments at heysosateamsosa@gmail.com.  I will cut and paste them into the blog, either anonymously or with your name/initials/nickname, etc..... 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
So, today was a big day for me. Today was the day I cut off all my hair. 
 
Now, as you can see from the pictures, I did not go full "GI Jane," and shave my head.  While I have said "I am going to war," I am honestly not ready for that image.  Making today's appointment and accepting the physical outcome were difficult steps for me. 
 
Most will remember I have always had long brown hair, and I have never had short hair.  In fact, I had short hair in fourth grade, and my sophomore year in high school.  That being said, my long hair has become a part of my personality, and evolved into a security blanket. While working in my former position, my hair was usually fashioned in a bun.  For the past three years, I have become more comfortable with wearing it down.  At times, I have trimmed six inches at a time and tried layers, as a way of being "adventurous." I have always felt special with compliments from friends and strangers alike. My hair is a part of me, and often, a part of my carpet, my clothes, and the damaging force in shower drains and vacuum cleaners wherever I have lived.
 
                                      I AM NOT MY HAIR.............India.Arie
 
Until this last month,  until my diagnosis and treatment plan, I was never faced with the decision to cut my hair in such a drastic fashion.  It became a choice of consequence. 
 
The oncologist and the nurses said, Taxotere, one of my chemotherapy drugs, will cause Alopecia, or hair loss. It will begin to occur within the first month of chemotherapy.  The singer sang "breast cancer and chemotherapy would take my crown of glory," and I faced my fear.  I knew I did not want to watch my long hair fall from my head over the next few months.  I did not want to wake up with pieces of hair left on my pillow or in my bed, or watch pieces come out as I showered or changed my clothing. 
 
I spoke with a friend/coworker, who I knew donated her hair on more than one occasion. I was aware that young women and girls everywhere donated their hair. These donations go to making wigs for children who lose their hair due to alopecia caused by treatment like chemotherapy.  I spoke with a friend/coworker whose cousin owned a hair salon, and asked if he could research how donations are done.
 
Somehow, I had to accept losing my hair as a very real part of my future.  The only way I could "justify" this loss, was to choose to donate my hair. It is not a choice to lose my hair because of cancer and chemotherapy; but I can choose to make that experience less traumatic and less emotionally painful.  I can choose to make it beneficial to others, with a positive result. Not all chemotherapy patients lose their hair, however, I needed to feel I made this decision voluntarily, and that I chose to cut my hair, as opposed to cancer, very likely, taking my hair from me. 
 
Two of the many, many things cancer can take from you include your pride and your vanity.  I say truthfully, I felt that is what I was losing today.  Rather than succumb to those feelings of sadness, rather than feel sorry for myself, as I was so tempted to do, I accepted that my donation will help others, and possibly more than one child.  I accepted I had great friends who were willing to come to the Citrus Salon in Downtown Martinez, and watch Candace cut and style my hair.  I accepted, that I AM NOT MY HAIR.  I am a person who is generous and beautiful, and I still will be, when I lose my hair and wear scarves and baseball caps.  I accepted a fate of my choosing, while I still have that power.
 
 
Special thanks to Tim, Candace, RobbynNicole, Cristina, Kim, Kyomi, and Jalen.
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, I take another painful step on this journey, as I prepare for chemotherapy next week.  My next posting will be Sunday, and I hope you will continue with your support.

22 comments:

  1. You are a strong woman and we are all behind you.....Team Sosa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all you look SOOO BEAUTIFUL! that smile could shine frpm anywhere and i love the hair. Damaging force....omg i am loving that line.
    So when u were talking about people donating hair. I wanted to tell u about my best friends 12 year old daughter. She shaved her head last month, her mom warned her it might be shocking for friends at school. Her response was if they cant love me like this they dont deserve to be my friend. Also she said its only hair and little kids who are sick need it. Beautiful. Love u. Jessica snow

    ReplyDelete
  3. That haircut looks amazing on you. And as usual your smile lights up the whole picture! You are just a s BEAUTIFUL as ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!!! You are truly inspiring. So awesome that you gave to help others. That us so thoughtful & generous of you. You have always been a strong & caring individual since HS. You are awesome. Thinking about you daily. Nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andie,
    Looking beautiful as always! This is another step closer to getting this done!
    Love you, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The haircut suits you. Simply fabulous darling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual you are a very beautiful lady and is doing something super awesome. Think of all the children you have made happy with your donation. Sending a whole lot of positive thoughts from the softball field. Miss seeing you at the ballfield. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, you are so inspiring! You look absolutely BEAUTIFUL...love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SOSSS.. your hair is beautiful. I love you and just know we are all here for you. Luv Z

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That haircut looks fabulous on you!! Thank you so much for sharing all of this... I'm sure it's not easy but I think God chose you to inspire the rest of us. Something only very special people can do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a perfect benchmark. I am with you 100%. If u shave (or it's all lost..) I will shave too. I wish I could take this from you, An-de-rah! U are NOT alone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! You are Beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andrea, i really like your new look! I absolutely agree that your hair, boobs, eyes or any body part defines you. Your wonderful personality is what i see as well as your undeniable strength . God bless you for voluntarily donating your beautiful "security blanket" to others in need. You are in my prayers daily. Love you, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrea, im sorry there was a typographical error in my post to you. Obviously i meant to say NO body part defines you. I wasn't able to recorrect it before it was posted. You are strong and beautiful! Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrea, love the hair cut, but more why you did it. This can't touch your heart or your soul. You've been such a good friend and supporter of mine for many many years. I just want you to know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and beautiful....Drew

    ReplyDelete
  17. As promised, if for some reason you cannot post, then I will post for you:

    From Laurie G,

    "I just wanted to say you look great and have inspired me to grow my hair and donate it (something I have always wanted to do but never have done). You are strong and beautiful. Love you."

    ReplyDelete
  18. your hair looks beautiful! keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, you're still cute with shorter hair. You are definitely not your hair! mine is just finally longer than yours......hahahahahahahahahahahaha! cwj

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look more beautiful than ever, Andrea, and I love your honesty, faith and courage. I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers and close to my heart every day. I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andrea, I've known you for quite a while now. We've seen each other experience awesome, happy times as well as some not so happy. One thing I know for sure about you girlie is that you are one tough chick and you do not give up easily!! I know that I know that you WILL continue to be a force to be reckoned with! I will be sending much good Juju your way. You are beautiful, long hair or not. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the cut! What honor in knowing your donation is helping others in your situation.

    ReplyDelete