Monday, March 31, 2014

March 31, 2014

Welcome to My Blog: "HeySosaTeamSosa"

"I have breast cancer. I am 37 years old."  I wrote this sentence in an email for my department and in a post on Facebook.  These are short sentences, however, the relevance is in their simplicity.

I am happy to welcome you to this blog.  It will be the best way to provide information, as well as to allow others to respond to me personally.  Its so important to hear from each person; your overwhelming support will get me through the many battles I am about to face.

As for the blog name, "Hey Sosa," is usually how people have greeted me for the past 15 years. My first name is usually mispronounced: Aundrea, Anndreeaa, etc.  But people from home still call me Andie, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.  "Team Sosa," has been seen before, but not in this context.  Upon learning the news, my beautiful and creative friends/coworkers joined together for a fundraiser, and are selling shirts with this phrase. I joined the two phrases, because I could never fight this war without my people.

First, let me thank everyone who encouraged me to write this blog.  I understand people are concerned about my well being, but may be afraid to ask.  This blog can give some answers, but I can only respond to you personally when you ask, because, "Closed mouths don't get fed." I hope to clarify any rumors or questions for my community.

Second, I will post at least once a week, and I will post more often as things happen.  This isn't just for my friends and family; it helps me to write about what is happening and share with you all.  I will be writing about a variety of experiences as well as how my health is progressing.  I plan to share my impressions of not only how cancer has changed my life, but also how my diagnosis has affected the lives of the people I care about, which, as most people know, is most everyone.

I actually considered writing the blog right away after the diagnosis, but I was battling an influx of terrible information and updates, as well as a barrage of intense emotions, not limited to sorrow, guilt, and fear.  Rather, I kept short notes on the dates and what happened each day, and use them to recall each conversation with a loved one, when I informed him or her or them of my disease.  I can tell you where I was, and probably, what I was wearing.  Each memory is so vivid with the reactions of my friends and family, and my reactions to them.  I wish I had the time or the strength to speak with everyone personally........

This blog seemed to be the best avenue to communicate with everyone, especially my coworkers, people who are not on Facebook, and my people back home in the Madera /Fresno area.  I plan on including updates on my physical condition and intensive treatment, as well as acknowledging the efforts of my supporters, who are intent on my survival.

Sooooooooooooo...........to clarify................

I am not on my deathbed.  I am the same person I was two, six, eight months ago.

I have not lost all my hair.  But it is very likely I will, and within the first month or two.  This Wednesday, 4/3/14, I will be cutting off 10 inches or more and donating it to Locks of Love.  Expect a blog entry about that for sure....

I AM NOT ALONE.  My parents will be traveling to the Bay Area and helping me during the first few weeks. And I am fortunate to live close to the workplaces of my probation family, who have been incredibly generous in daily offers to help with anything and everything, even if its just a funny story or some company. Facebook has been an incredible reminder of the power of social media and communicating with people everywhere. 

Next week, I begin six months of chemotherapy. It won't be fun. I have spent the past month accepting the diagnosis, and the last two weeks "getting ready for war," but I don't think anyone can ever be ready....

And finally............

I need humor.  I need bad jokes and optimism.  I need reminders of what's good in life, and what's really good in life.  More than one friend told me this news helped them prioritize, and put things in perspective. Nearly everyone has told me that I am strong and we will defeat this.  I believe that wholeheartedly, and like I told my doctor: "I'm in if you're in."


Love,
Your Sosa



from Liz...."God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers."








30 comments:

  1. Andi, I have always loved your grit and the fight in you....this is another battle, another chapter, in a life I have had the privilege to be a very small part of. I promise you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I love you girl....now go kick some ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andreeeaaaa, yes that was me at first, I.confess, you are strong and Will be stronger still. God is with us all the time. It may not seem true when we are hurting, suffering and in pain but God that is when God is holding you tightly and reassuring you to trust him. I have two family members diagnosed like you and they want me to reassure you that with faith you are blessed and are protected. You have a beautiful soul and spirit that I love. Remember we have a few things in common!!!! Heyyyyy! Call me crazy! No, i meam call me, Crazy. 925-818.....,Ill in box you on FB, I dont want just any Crazy calling me! Love you crazy girl, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing about what you feel and experience will help us all to understand and help you with your battle of this awful disease. We are here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me goosies! I love you! The fact that you are doing this helps everyone be WITH YOU on this journey. I'm on your team, always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! !! I'm lighting candles for you down here! !!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you have a blog. Love u; drive your semi truck in reverse to CHEMO! They will hear you coming. Jessica snow

    ReplyDelete
  7. To my new friend...let me know when you need any of my horror stories. Meaning, "when they gave you this, did this happen too?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Boo,
    We are all pulling for you on your long journey ahead. It's just a matter of time before you are back to 100%, and the lunch crew is down at Chipotle, getting our Grub on and talking mess. They say you sbould never question Gods actions, and why he puts good people bad stuff, so I will keep quiet at this time. Keep up the fight, and we love you.

    XOXOXOXO

    Leandre

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sabrina donated her hair to Locks of Love 3 times, then did Pantene Beautiful Lengths this year. Wigs for Kids is also another option - Locks of Love has been evasive about where their donations have been going and whether or not they have been charging for their hair pieces. Take care of yourself and know you have so much positivity behind you. Oh and watch Frozen too - I cried the whole way through! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me add - tears of Joy! hahaahaa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am wishing you all the best! You can fight this and win! Power of positive thinking goes alonnnnng way! F*ck Cancer!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you are doing this. It will help you heal getting everything out in the open. I've seen a side of you that I admit I did not see coming. You are stronger than most and it's commendable the way you have hadled all of this. I know you can beat this and we will continue to joke and kid around with you, because just as positive thinking is good medicine, laughter always makes you feel good...that is unless you pee your pants. I will be there every step of the way even when you don't want me there. Cristina H

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Sosa My Sosa......As u know im not good at this, but hey anything for u. I am blessed, privileged, appreciative, honored, thankful, and so cool to hv a friend in u. U have always and I mean ALWAYS been there for me. U truly hv a heart of gold. We have alot of unforgettable memories and Im looking forward to many many more. U hv a army behind u and we wont be defeated. I want to share something with you and I live by this by reciting it every morning before I leave home "THE LORD DIDN'T PROMISE THIS LIFE WOULD BE EASY BUT HE DID PROMISE TO WALK WITH US EVERY STEP OF THE WAY" Your never alone and I mean never. I Love u much my Sosa and may the stalking begin. U cant get rid of me no that u would ever Want to...lol..Ur stuck with. Positivity Laughter Smiles n Sunshine all 4 u. ILL EVEN LET U PUSH ME OUTTA BED. ;-) LOVE YA SUGAH

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love ur blog! Don't really know abt blogs, but I will learn! One of my favorite mantras is "New Day, New Hope, New Joy" small saying, big returns:) Stephanie B

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can do this...since I met you, you have had this drive about you and you go after what you want, just like you will now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. To My Hot Sosa, I love you and you are in my prayers and everyone I pray with. I want you to know that if you need anything from me please let me know. One thing is true and a fact, you are a strong and beautiful person. And God is and will be with you. I REALLY NEED A HUG FROM MY HOT SOSA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are Strong and can take on and WIN this WAR

    ReplyDelete
  18. How about putting on some Prince, Let's Go Crazy?!!! You survived riding in the car when that song was on, so as far as I'm concerned, cancer's got NOTHING on you, baby! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. SOS this is egregious, I know you will beat this. You definitely have my support. Much love Mr Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email. I would love to hear from you.
      heysosateamsosa@gmail.com

      Delete
  20. Not sure if I told you about this gal I saw? Pretty. Healthy. Happy. Wearing a long sleeve shirt. The design on the front read:
    "Hell yes they're FAKE! The real ones tried to KILL me!!!"
    That, in my opinion, is how you FIND your blessings. Turn it over, upside down, backwards, sideways....whatever it takes to come out on top!
    I Love you Aun-de-rah

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanking God for your present and continued strength. ..Waiting on your testimony! ! #teamsosa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey beautiful. I can't be there for you in person. But know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. HC!! You know I LOVE YOU!! know that I am praying for you everyday asking God to strengthen and heal your body. You are healed by HIS stripes....... Your HC MB....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey there kiddo.. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I have missed ur smart ass comments daily so i will make sure I will contact you often..even to keep me in line and on my toes. Ur strength is awesome and i will be sporting your t-shirt..after payday.. well u know how it is being a civil servant to man...Just know that if u need something just friekin ask...WE are all here for you...
    Hugs and Kisses
    Craig F. (the old bald guy)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Sosanator,
    Just found your blog, I am here for you if you need anything. I really miss you in our cube neighborhood. Your presence here has always been a lot of fun and full of positive energy. Can't wait until you are back here with us...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey girlie, this blog thing is great. I think I'm one of the few people who did not call you Sosa, although we had many great laughs about "my people names"...lol. Anyway, just stopping by to let you know your on my mind. The street lights are on and I'm sleepy... hahahahaha. good night!....... luv ya.....cwj

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, I don't know you but I found your link through someone's FB post... Stay strong and trust in God, he won't lead you to what he won't guide you through. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  28. God bless you Sosa!! I don't think I've ever called you Andrea. It would be awkward if I did... But from the first day I started you were one of the very few people that spoke to me while I was being "shunned". No matter what anyone ever told me about you, I already formed my opinion based on our first interactions. People could learn a lot from individuals like you. You teach without teaching and you love without loving��. I have your number (thanks Z) and I will call to check in from time to time. You are not fighting this battle alone! You have so much love coming at you from above, below and every other angle you could think of. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sosa... Glad to see you are doing well and keeping the positive attitude! Think Pink! Love yoga and love that you are trying it... it will help bring some peace and harmony to your inner self. Namaste

    ReplyDelete