Monday, September 29, 2014

 
September 28, 2014
 
Hello everyone and thank you for coming back every week.
 
This week begins another October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There will be lots of pink everywhere, on products sold in stores, and on pink ribbons worn by millions. Professional athletes will wear items with pink as another way to advocate for awareness.
 
Over the past years, October has always been special to those, including myself, who are close to those who have battled breast cancer.  I remember a time when two friends were bonded because their mothers were diagnosed and treated the same year. When I was diagnosed, I took a look around and found all the small pink items I had collected over the years. 
 
October will be a little different this year.  That inundation of pink that always comes around in the fall means a bit more.  While some argue how much money is actually contributed, the truth is each purchase contributes something towards breast cancer awareness and research. In fact, I feel the medicine I was fortunate to receive, and continue to receive is a result of development funded by dedicated efforts to fundraise and bring the reality of breast cancer to those who may not otherwise understand. 
 
Awareness is about education.  Paying attention to family history and a variety of risk factors will provide information to those who may never considered themselves a candidate for this disease. Opening up a dialogue with friends, family, and medical professionals will bring awareness about cancer.
 
One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.  One in eight.  Look around you today. Do the math.
 
________________________________
 
 
Yesterday, I was lucky to spend time with coworkers and catch up with some who I have not seen in awhile. It is great to hear from those who read the blog and are not afraid to ask questions or share stories. It makes me happy to know I am part of your Monday morning routine.  Reading the blog may be the only way some know how to check in with me, and that is a big reason why I write to you every week. 
 
 
 
Love, Sosa
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Your my Sunday night rountine. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog!! Can't wait to catch up in a few weeks. You are such a inspiration. Natalie

    ReplyDelete