Sunday, November 9, 2014


November 9, 2014

We did it!

This is a selfie after completing the Berkeley 5k today.  We all got our medals, which means we finished under an hour.  It was a beautiful day in Berkeley, and I had a great time running with my friends.  Congratulations to Cristina, Maria, Marlene, and Mauricio (the late entry) for earning their medals!

It was an emotional day of excitement and accomplishment.  Just a few months ago, I was hooked up to a machine, receiving chemotherapy.  I could barely walk to the mailbox or to the car without difficulty.  If it wasn't fatigue, it was considerable muscle or joint pain.  On those weeks between treatment, I pushed myself to walk longer, enduring back, leg, and joint pain.  Once chemo was over, and had worked its way out of my system, my energy level gradually increased, and I felt better when walking.

I could not have accomplished this event goal without the help of my friends.  They (and their dogs) were there to walk with me, no matter how slow.  I cannot be more grateful for people who included me in their schedules and shared the conversation.  Over months, I was able to increase strength and distance, and walking three or four miles became routine.  I realized I could run a little more, and was able to run two of the 3.1 miles today. 

_______________________________

I returned to work this week.  My colleagues have made my transition easy and made me feel welcome.  I am learning new things and adjusting to the work routine.  Each day brings new challenges, just like everyone else, and just like before I had cancer.  But, I appreciate the patience and kindness of others, because those challenges can and will be more challenging than before. 

Big day today.  I need a nap.

Love, Sosa


1 comment:

  1. And tomorrow (11/14) is your birthday! Remember all of us who love and support you. Thankful for all the prayers. Thankful for all the BC research! And keep walking, really? This is amazing. Mom

    ReplyDelete