Monday, October 27, 2014

 
October 26, 2014
 
 
Hello Everyone and Welcome Back,

The picture above is from the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure at Fresno State, held this past weekend.  A friend from high school joined me in a 5K walk to support breast cancer awareness.  There were hundreds of breast cancer survivors there, and hundreds more supporters.  The mood was about hope for futures after surviving breast cancer, and strength for those who are facing recent diagnosis and ongoing treatment.  Many of the women there have lived for as much as 20-30 years after initial diagnosis and treatment.

I also attended my 20th year high school reunion and saw many smiling faces from the past.  While I was initially hesitant about going, I am glad I went and enjoyed myself.  Having breast cancer threatens my future, which means I think twice about doing things that I may not have the chance to do again. Maybe I will finally get around to piercing my ears...

This Wednesday, I have the opportunity to speak at my school for their Breast Cancer Awareness luncheon. If you are interested in attending, contact me and I will send you the link.

This week ends my time off from work, as I will return to a "new normal" routine.  I spoke with another survivor this weekend who reminded me how important it is to continue to live life, and the medicine is much better than it used to be.  Hearing encouragement, in any form, is primary to survivorship.

The National Cancer Institute states that:
"An individual is considered a cancer survivor from the time of diagnosis, through the balance of his or her life.  Family members, friends, and caregivers are also impacted by the survivorship experience and are therefore included in this definition.

Have a good week,
Sosa

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture. Shows how forward thinking you are. And, piercing your ears? Did I hear this right?
    Look forward to the luncheon on Wednesday. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete