Sunday, October 12, 2014



October 12, 2014

Hello Everyone, and Welcome Back,

Its wonderful to be able to say I am getting stronger and adjusting to my "new normal."  That means I adjust to my physical changes and learn how to set new goals, both physically and mentally.  After being off work so long, it is a challenge to think about returning to "normal" life.  I expect to be a little rusty for a few weeks, figuring out how to return to the everyday routine.  I am very fortunate that my coworkers are eager to have me back, and have always been more than considerate since this all began.

Walking and practicing yoga are great for building strength and finding a way to center oneself.  My support community encourages techniques like yoga, acupuncture, meditation and reiki to address anxiety and stress.  Yoga is great for my flexibility and endurance, and practicing methods to concentrate. Walking is physically challenging, because my muscles and bones still ache.  But I am developing muscle and able to walk further than before. As a former athlete, that mentality does not go away.  Accepting the challenges and setting goals to overcome them are a big part of any journey.  In my case, I am pushing through each day with the mindset that I want to live.  Thank you very much to those who want to walk with me, even if they are on a leash.

Lots of challenges have come my way, and having breast cancer is the biggest of all.  Living with it will be a different challenge than being treated with aggressive chemotherapy.  Now, I will take each day as what it is, and appreciate experiences in a different way.  That means acknowledging my own accomplishments, such as walking further, and accepting the changes to my life, including my physical appearance.  It means being more truly grateful for the friends and family in my life, because your support is the biggest weapon I have to fight.

Having cancer also means relationships and attitudes change.  What is great to add is the amount of knowledge I have gained, and been able to share with others over this past few months.  It is great to say that people with questions or concerns have found a way to ask.  With October throwing pink at you every day, it is good to know you are thinking differently about what that pink ribbon means. 

I am thankful every day for the relationships that have developed since this all began.  Its hard to believe this cancer is the reason to rebuild bridges, or change attitudes.  There are some who reach out to me daily, and some who reach out every few months.  Whenever you do, I value the prayers and support. Please do not think you "bother" me.

Enjoy your week,
Sosa


No comments:

Post a Comment