Sunday, June 29, 2014









June 29, 2014


The Week of the No-Hitter




 
I spent more time than I planned just trying to find an image for the blog this week.  More than a few of you will get this joke.  For cancer patients, "chemo brain" is an unfortunate side effect of treatment.  An example is short term memory, and lack thereof.  Maybe you forgot why you came to the store, or how you got there.  Maybe its a break in conversation resulting in a total loss of train of thought, or "train derailed."  Yes, this happens to quite a few of us who are not undergoing chemotherapy.  You know who you are (or you are married to/live with/work with this individual). 
 
Humor has helped me through each day I have spent on this journey.  Whether its a bad joke, or funny comic strip, it never hurts to smile about something.  Lucky for me, I get a great laugh out of friends who momentarily forget I am bald, and complain about their hairstyles.  Or I say something random, but its okay "because she has the cancer."  Or I am the only reason the Giants got a win this week.....Every joke is all in good fun, and I would not have it any other way.
 
On Wednesday, I sat in the best field club seats to watch the Giants at home.  I sat next to the scouts, and kept score for Tim Lincecum's second No-Hitter.  It was a magical day for everyone who attended, including my coworkers who were also there.
 
This week, I attended a retirement party and spoke with many coworkers who I have not seen in years.  I met with two breast cancer survivors and talked about treatment and post cancer life.  More often since this all began, I am in conversations with a person who has faced cancer, or who watched someone battle it out.  Each time I experience this, I try to learn from it, and have found guidance in their stories.
 
I have Cycle 5 (out of 6) on Wednesday.  That means twice in the month of July. I will spend the July 4th weekend recovering and hoping for the best. So I won't be available to help you move or rearrange your kitchen.....
 
Thank you for checking in this week, in any way you can.  I do my best to show my face, so people are not under the impression that treatment for breast cancer means you are "sick all the time."  Its hardest the first week after chemo, but it gets better, and I get out of the house when I can.
 
Love, Andrea
 
 
*************************
 
In the news this week, Joan Lunden and Samantha Harris announced treatment for breast cancer.  Lunden was just diagnosed.  Harris previously had a mastectomy, and her cancer has returned, resulting in further treatment. 
ONE IN EIGHT WOMEN WILL HAVE A FORM OF BREAST CANCER.
Early detection is key.  If you have a grandmother, mother, sister, or aunt, who had breast cancer, and you are under age 40, please do your self exams and talk to your physician about genetic testing and early mammograms.  Most women do not have their first mammogram until age 40, so it must be requested.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You always tell on me. Always you do that.
    CHM

    ReplyDelete