Sunday, September 25, 2016





September 25, 2016



Above is a photo from Women's Softball playoffs at Willow Pass Park in Concord. 

____________________________

Hello all,

Thank you for returning to the blog for new entries.  It has been a few months since I have checked in with updates.  Mostly because, I did not have much to share regarding treatment. 

Over that time, I continued to work full time, and for local adult and little leagues.  I traveled and met new friends. I played softball twice a week and enjoyed meeting some great teammates. 

Over those months, I was in good physical shape and dealt with manageable side effects of joint pain and swelling in my arms and chest. Part of living with Advanced Cancer is dealing with physical side effects daily.

And part of living with Advanced Cancer is accepting every day as it comes, because the emotional side effects are just as difficult.  A pill or exercise doesn't always treat those feelings of doubt or fear. 

What does help is support from others. Over the past few years, I have met many friends of friends with new cancer diagnoses.  Every time I have been approached, I have shared my story, and the importance of support from the community.  Having support from all parts of the work, family, and friend worlds is significant to survival of the disease and survival of treatment. 

More people live longer because of treatment, like myself, but I cannot acknowledge enough how support makes treatment easier.  It is as easy as a regular date night, or lunches, or texts, or games played on a phone.  I was fortunate to play softball with other women who are breast cancer survivors.  More intensively, its a regular cancer support group with other patients.  Its talking with survivors about the one incredible, unbelievable thing we have in common. 
_________________

News:
As of September 1, I chose to take off work indefinitely to battle this cancer on a bigger level.  As my summer ended, my symptoms increased.  I went through the "fun" experience of multiple MRIs and CTs and blood draws.  There is medicine available now, that was not developed when I was first diagnosed.  There are clinical trials available that will allow me to treat my cancer and help people in the future who are diagnosed.

If you know me at all, making this decision was hard. Just like a few years ago, my diagnosis changed my life and the lives of others. And like then, I did not want to change from a very busy lifestyle and being very active.  I did not want people to think I am dying or in a hospital somewhere.

I am not dying. Not today.

I have incurable, advanced, terrible breast cancer, and treatment has allowed me to live as normal as possible for two years.  Now, its time to focus on that treatment again, so I can have more time to do the things I love, like travel and live life. That means chemotherapy in some form, and more pain medication.  My goal is to allow my symptoms to subside and the cancer to reduce greatly.

I hope those who read this share it with others who are looking for support from another young person with cancer.  But, I most hope those who read this are friends who trust I am making the best decisions. I am trying to return to a regular active physical and social life, and eventually, working full time.

_________________________

I am placing an order for Team Sosa shirts first thing Monday morning, and the remainder of the proceeds will be donated.  October will be here soon, and I hope pink means more to you as it does to me.

Love, Sosa


2 comments:

  1. Soss, you are an extremely strong woman. I admire your strength. Just know. You have a great support system. We all love you to the moon and back.❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soss, you are an extremely strong woman. I admire your strength. Just know. You have a great support system. We all love you to the moon and back.❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete