Sunday, March 13, 2016



March 13, 2016

Hello Everyone....

Above is an illustration of the machines used for Radiation Therapy.  This week ends six weeks of radiation treatment to my lymph nodes. It is hoped this treatment will alleviate some symptoms of swelling and numbness.  Lymphedema is a side effect of cancer treatment and/or surgery.  I will be evaluated in another month to see how it worked. 

Radiation therapy has improved in the past 20 years. Past patients were treated daily with larger doses in broader areas.  Machines, like the one above, are further desiged to target the cancer.  Over 6 weeks, more or less, the actual treatment takes five minutes each day.  It takes longer to get set up.  Its more like an xray where the patient only hears sound.  The procedure itself is painless.

Side effects of radiation include fatigue and burns.  My burn developed about 3 weeks in and is in my armpit.  Its pretty gnarly, and looks like raw skin healing.  Its very similar to a severe sunburn.  I use an adhesive silver patch to keep it clean, and healing during my regular day. 

I appreciate the technologists and medical staff who provide this service.  They are constantly available to offer advice and observe the development of the burn at the treatment site. 

I am very fortunate that I have medical care and insurance to provide me low cost treatment. I can only contribute donations to organizations and fundraisers to support free services or treatment to those recently diagnosed. It is very important to provide help in any way for those who face a cancer diagnosis with family and friends. 

Don't forget to participate in Relay for Life and Avon 39 or similar fundraisers this year.  Encourage education and awareness.  If you know someone who is diagnosed with breast cancer, I am available for support.  I cannot stress how beneficial it is to dealing with the cancer diagnosis. 

And Get Checked!

Love, Sosa




2 comments:

  1. Agree, your have great, consistent care/caregivers. They truly care and it shows. We hope and pray that there is a breakthrough in your progress. Radiation sometimes takes time to show results. You are right, education and access to
    medical care are the keys. We love and are proud you're ours. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so great at sharing and learning. Learn a little more every time. Love that you are so strong. Think about you often Andrea!! Just want ed to say hello and thank you for educating me and others. Hope to see you soon when you are in town. :) Nat

    ReplyDelete