Monday, August 4, 2014

August 3, 2014
Another Week Down
 
 
Hello Everyone and Welcome Back....
 
 
While the week had a rough start as I was recovering from my last chemotherapy, it finished up on a better note.  I continue to try to do something every day, even if it just means I take a drive to get some fresh air.
 
As you can see above, I attended another Giants game this week.  For those of you who think this is weird, please understand I attended 2-3 games a month last season.  I attend all sorts of sporting events when I can, and baseball and softball are at the top of my list.
 
This week, two friends returned from their travels with very cool gifts for me.  I always feel fortunate, and I make note of all the places I want to go when I can travel again.  Maybe a cruise, Hawaii, or Comic-Con....
 
I took part in two celebrations this week.  The DP turns 50 this week, and I spent all day Sunday with friends at an outdoor party.  The weather was easy on us and the company was lots of fun.  All we needed was a slip and slide...
 
I also met with my parents and extended family at a celebration for a family friend who lived to be 101.  I listened to the stories of people who grew up together in the 1950s and 60s. There were pictures of my grandpa as a young man, and reminders of what life used to be like, post WWII, when families and friends lived on the same block and planned vacations together.
 
My parents are still hanging in there, and they always say hello and appreciate the support of my friends in the Bay Area.
______________________________________
 
Maybe its just me, but it seems cancer is an ongoing theme in movies and TV shows lately.  "The Fault in Our Stars" and "Wish I Was Here" are recent movies with characters with cancer, and "Chasing Life" is a drama on the Family Channel, where a young woman is diagnosed with leukemia. There was even an episode of "Botched" where a breast cancer survivor needed another corrrective surgery towards reconstruction. 
 
Its kind of like, when you drive a certain kind of car, then you notice that car on the road, more than usual.  Or when the side effects of advertised medications are read aloud on TV, and there is a reference to cancer.  Or I notice other women wearing hats or scarves like me.
 
Some people may think its not the best thing for a cancer patient to pay attention to programs or commercials that involve cancer.  Any patient can tell you using search engines and reading numerous articles can cause more harm than good.  The benefit of fictional programs allows people to relate to a variety of characters, from patient to parent to friend.  Often, its educational for those who still may not understand what the cancer patient is going through, which then opens the door for questions and communication.
 
Don't ever be afraid to ask questions.  Have a good week.
 
Love, 
Sosa   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Chance has a slip n slide you should of just asked. And my vote is for Comic Con because it seems so unique and cool just like you. I love you sweet thing. I think about you everyday! Jessica snow.
    Laughing moment: co-workers made me hula to hawaian rollar coaster from LILO AND STITCH. it was not a pretty sight. I ran and hid because. Schooley was recording it, one word! Delete

    ReplyDelete