Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Year AgoAugust 10, 2014
 
Isn't that the truth?
 
The image above was sent to me from a friend who survived breast cancer, and I forwarded it to a friend with lymphoma.
 
These last few months have gone by quickly, even though some of the days are long. I was diagnosed at the end of February and its already August. I have had some very long days, and longer nights.  Its all part of the war, and like war, it is exhausting and ongoing, and there are losses to bear.
 
A year ago, I was working, and going to baseball games, and spending time with friends.  Now, I have cancer. I'm bald and on leave from work. I have tried to stay active, and my friends have helped me remember what I enjoy most, and showed how much support is around me. 
 
A friend asked me this week if I thought these months were going to be as hard as it has been.  I did not expect to get through chemo as well as I did. I say "as well," mainly because I did not get as sick as most patients do. As a nurse's daughter, I prepared and medicated as needed.  Listening to my body and consulting with my nurses and doctors helped with the side effects. I attended a support group weekly and learned perspective. As difficult as chemo can be for anyone, there will be harder battles to face.  They will be physical and emotional, and I will prepare for whatever the treatment may be.  I do not have any news now, and decisions are yet to be made.  Remember, each patient is different, and my situation is different from someone else.
 
Since I was diagnosed, I have been public about how this journey has affected me and also how many people have approached me.  It is important to acknowledge those who have never known anyone with cancer.  I commend those who have asked questions to understand what is happening to me, but also to understand what could happen to them or their loved ones.
____________________________________
 
Breast cancer does not discriminate.  It touches lives of so many.  In the past month, I learned of more friends and parents who have been recently diagnosed. Some have minor surgery and some have mastectomies and chemo in their future. In our lifetime, one in eight women will be diagnosed with some degree of breast cancer.  The treatments and medicines are much better than twenty, ten, or even one year ago.  As long as women are reaching out to doctors for early detection then treatment, recovery, and remission are easier than it used to be.  It is still hard to learn, and even harder to accept.  But there is support and there is hope. 
____________________________________
Love, Sosa
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Love this!!! :) Think of you all the time. :) Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful words! Thinking of you always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your case, why wasn't it detected earlier? Isn't your mom a survivor? I thought they are more proactive with daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any way to answer this may end up sounding like placing blame. I cannot change my diagnosis, but I can try to educate others to get early detection. I hope anyone who has any close relative who has/had breast cancer talks to doctors and begins the early detection process with mammograms or genetic testing.

      Delete