Sunday, August 24, 2014


August 24, 2014
Breast Cancer Survivor Frayed Pink Ribbon Framed P Wall Decal
Hello Friends,
 
Did you survive the earthquake? I jumped out of bed and stood in the doorway.  It was definitely a roller.  And if you want to know what's really going on, check Facebook for the news updates.
 
I am grateful for everyone's support as my chemotherapy has ended.  It has been one month since my last infusion.  What has happened since is my body's adjustment to the medicine leaving my body.  While I have more energy, I find I do not have as much strength.  During chemotherapy, I experienced extensive bone pain during the week after infusion.  Now, my muscles are incredibly sore most of the time, even after sleeping or sitting.  Which is odd, if you aren't running the ten miles like you feel you have.  What is good is that I am walking more often, which I enjoy.  I continue to practice yoga, which is a great way to stretch out and focus energy in one's body.
 
The poison that has been in my body will take months to leave.  In fact, the best sign is when my hair grows back.  That will happen in four to six months, and that is the most obvious sign that my body has recovered from the most "ironic" way to treat cancer.  The drugs had to destroy so much of my system, thus destroying the cancer. But, I choose to do what it takes to survive.
 
In fact, another survivor pointed out to me that each day after diagnosis, is a day of survivorship.  Accepting the diagnosis and the treatment options, whatever they may be, means making choices to survive.  Every day you choose to live and fight, is a day when you choose not to let cancer win.  Some people consider landmarks, like five or ten years of being cancer free, as a survivor.  Some people say if you survived treatment, such as chemo, then, you are a survivor.
 
I think anyone who continues to move forward is a survivor. Whether its through early detection or trusting in treatment, deciding to put faith in the medicine is a choice to survive.  Regardless of the severity of the treatment or the extent of the disease, if you choose to keep living, then you are a SURVIVOR.
 
Keep your spirit positive and keep appreciating what's good in life.  
 
Love, Sosa
 


No comments:

Post a Comment